Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Review of voter demographics in Berkeley

So, I went and voted yesterday. Who and what I voted for is not really material at this point. Though its still illegal to sell yourself on the streets of Berkeley, and we are getting a new bore in the Caldecott Tunnel. I voted for both of those. So, I might venture to Orinda and back on weekends in a about ten years from now in less than two hours and I'm still won't get asked if I want a date on Telegraph Ave.

But what was more interesting were the actual voters of Berkeley. My precinct now votes in the local fire house of the Berkeley FireDepartment. (B.F.D.) as is says on the side of the big red trucks. -Tothe amusement of many friends who visit me. The Elmwood Park precinctis full of dedicated voters. Turn out was like 98 percent. I know this cause I stood in line with all my neighbors yesterday for 90 minutes for the privilege to vote. We really don't have enough of those voting machines to handle the passionate of Berkeley. So, we wait in line. Patiently but liberally. I guess.

While waiting in line we tend to do things which are a little communal. By that, group voting and consensus building seems to be okay. People pull out their sample marked ballots and ask you if you understand this or that proposition. We had like 40 to vote on. The woman next to me asked me to clarify several for her. One the additional 911 phone tax to pay for emergency rooms she asked me about because she saw myphone company badge. I told her I was voting for it because, my CEO leftme a voice mail telling me not too. I'm such a rebel at times.

The other big controversy was that people just discovered that voter registration lists are posted at polling places. Mainly for you to check to make sure you are registered. But they also contain your home address, phone number and party affiliation. This upset people inOakland. It was on the morning news. But in Berkeley, Elmwood Park, we studied the list for general demographic amusement mostly. In Elmwood Park 65 percent of voters are registered Democrat. Twenty five percent Non-Partisan. There are a smattering of Republicans, which we laughed at. Those poor isolated Republicans. "We should take up a collection for them", we mused. But the best line of the day came from the woman who had been in line behind me for an hour. She looked at the list, looked at her neighbors and said, "Oh, that young college guy next door is registered Green. How cute."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home