Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Burbite Definition

Someone on reading my blog recently asked me to define the term “burbite”. I’m not sure I’ve ever used the term in my blog, but I have in a few of my poems. I’ve used the word Unitarian too. Though at the time I was not referring to the members of the Unitarian Universalist Church. However, I was listening to a radio show on the origins of the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) a month or so back and they stated that if they can find five occurrences of a word in print its considered for entry in the dictionary. So you can all help my cause of expanding the American/English language by using the term in your e-mails, letters and publications. Fellow writers help me out. I would love the OED to eventually have an entry something like the following:


Burbite (Bur~Bite) 1. A diminutive term used by the urban young adults (18-29) of
San Francisco to describe the individuals of the outlying suburban communities. 2. A
person of origin outside the city of San Francisco, residing outside of the city of San
Francisco, who attempts to assume hippness by visiting the quainter neighborhoods of San
Francisco, or to a lesser extent Berkeley, on an infrequent basis. 3. A person residing in the suburbs
of a major hip city, who has not fully committed him or herself to the assuming the general
kinkyness of the times and herd mentality of a dense urban region. Note, burbites usually
feel its a necessity to own a high fuel consumption vehicle that does not easily fit into a compact urban parking space. People using this term in common vernacular tend to try and out do their contemporaries by acquiring new subdivisions of body art and piercings rather than new tract homes in suburban
subdivisions. Burbites define art and hippness by obtaining large cookie cutter possessions that make them as bland as everyone else in their neighborhood. Non-burbites (urban hipsters) define art and hipness by decorating their bodies like everyone else in their neighborhood.

Etymology: Term first used by the Berkeley poet, Stan Pisle, in his series of poems on urban lifestyles of the greater San Francisco Bay Area. It was originally an abridgment of the term “Suburbanite.” Mr. Pisle with his proclivity to use as few syllables as possible (especially when engaging in conversations with his current significant other on the state and possible direction of “the relationship”) championed the use of the word until it became common in the vernacular

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home