Tuesday, August 12, 2003

I've been exchanging e-mails with my friend Claude down in LA. Turns out a common friend of ours has been employeed lately as the night manager of an all night male only strip club in SF: The Nob Hill Theater.

For the ridiculous price of $30 you can sit in an audience and watch guys strip down to pretty much nothing. Well nothing and certain applicable paraphenalia. (This involves rings and leather straps for those of you not in the know.) For tips they will do it in your lap, or closer if so inclined to provide even more money. I have not been. In any of the previous scenarios.

Now this friend, previously had a burgeoning career with dot.com online travel agency, which while still around, is a little leaner and meaner these days. Translation: the friend was laid off. After a couple years of writing a novel (apparently now finished) he has landed this new job in late evening theater. In an effort to improve business he started what I have coined "The open mic strip."

He sent out the following announcement the other day.

As you may or may not know, I've been working as a dj/night manager at the Nob Hill Theater since finishing work on my novel.

On the second and fourth Wednesday of the month, I'll be hosting our amateur hour. There's history, comedy, and of course the contest. I'm scripting the shows myself and they're really a lot of fun. Our first shot at this gave us the largest Wednesday night gross of the year.

Since we have a discount rate for parties of six or more I'm inviting you all to come this Wednesday at around 8:30 for the nine o'clock show. Tix will be $20 apiece for all if only three of you come and bring a friend. No alcohol is served on the premesis but the club is BYOB.

Those foolhardy souls who want to compete for cash prizes can get in for free by signing up to strip at 8pm. One theatergoer of the competitor's choice gets a $20 admission.


I will likely not be attending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home